Click on this link to see 80 photos in a slide hour of Hazel Steven award ceremony: http://www.photoshow.com/watch/MI9Xw2iw Hazel Stevens was born in England and met her husband at a USO there in WWII. She volunteered at the USO at Joint Base Andrews to "give back" to America the opportunities that this great country gave her and her family. She has the most volunteer hours of any USO-Metro volunteer in its history. She and Carlo DePorto (9,000 hours) have ended their service at the USO due to health reasons....
Monthly Archives: January 2014
IRS Warns of Tax-time Scams It’s true: tax scams proliferate during the income tax filing season. This year’s season opens on Jan. 31. The IRS provides the following scam warnings so you can protect yourself and avoid becoming a victim of these crimes:
- Be vigilant of any unexpected communication purportedly from the IRS at the start of tax season.
- Don’t fall for phone and phishing email scams that use the IRS as a lure. Thieves often pose as the IRS using a bogus refund scheme or warnings to pay past-due taxes.
- The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email to request personal or financial information. This includes any type of e-communication, such as text messages and social media channels.
- The IRS doesn’t ask for PINs, passwords or similar confidential information for credit card, bank or other accounts.
- If you get an unexpected email, don’t open any attachments or click on any links contained in the message. Instead, forward the email to email@example.com. For...
Subject: FROM TAXWISE
Important Dates for 2014 e-file Season *revised for 1041 dates
Happy New Year!
As you are probably aware, on December 18th the IRS announced a delayed start to the 2014 season IRS Announcement. The information below details important dates you need to know to insure your season gets off to a great start! IRS Opening dates for e-Filing are:
Updated 1-6-2014 from IRS Quick Alert Business MeF Production Start Up (except for 1041) is scheduled on Monday, January 13, 2014, 9:00 a.m. Eastern. 1041 Production Start Up (MeF and Legacy Systems) is scheduled for Friday, January 31, 2014, 9:00 a.m. Eastern.
Highs and Lows of 2013 2013 was generally a year of negatives for our family though we did have a few bright spots. Our transition to USO-Andrews from USO-BWI was disappointing since the government shutdown caused a drop in flights at the military base. We helped a few families including a mother and her two young children trying to get a flight to Germany (SPACE A) who wanted to join her husband at Christmas. But mostly we looked at an empty terminal, especially during the last six months of the year. In addition, one of our friends who volunteered at Andrews had a major stroke in late 2013 and will not return. And sadly, even the USO-Metro has stopped asking us to take photos of events. Our wonderful neighborhood friend Bruce Woods, who saved our bacon many a time with his snow blower, died suddenly from a heart attack earlier this year. He was our age. Many of our friends too, have moved on...